FASHION | FEMINISM | FCP

Wednesday 14 September 2016

New York Fashion Week









(Outfit 1: Top, Zara; Lace-up Shoes, Target. Outfit 2: Dress, Zara)

For any of you who follow me on Snapchat, you'll notice that I spent the majority of my weekend helping out at some of the NYFW shows. I should probably take this moment to say sorry for my ridiculously long stories, but who knows when I'll next be back at NYFW!? 

I bagged myself two volunteer positions, both of which I got through the university that I'm studying at. The first I had to queue up for about 3 hours to get. By the time we got to the front there wasn't much left for us, but thankfully Style Fashion Week was still taking volunteers so we didn't hesitate to get our names down. A few days later I received an email from FIT saying they needed help for  Cristina Ruales show, so I replied straight away and got myself a position there too.

Style Fashion Week hosts lots of different up and coming designers and runs from Thursday to Saturday. I helped out on Friday and Saturday as an usher, helping guests find their seats. This was a fairly simple task, but some guests were quite difficult. A few people tried to pretend they were big names who deserved front row seats, but if they didn't have a ticket then they weren't getting in. Most people were very lovely and took a liking to our British accents, asking us how long we were here for and what we were doing which is always lovely. It was so much fun flashing our badges at the security staff and being able to gain access to all the backstage areas. I could get used to this!

The second designer I volunteered for was Cristina Ruales on Sunday. I won't lie, upon first meeting her I was quite intimidated. She was very brutal, explaining that the fashion industry is tough and if we weren't willing to work long, hard days then we should just leave right away. Scary - but she was right.

The day actually turned out to be a lot of fun. Her event was a little different to your typical fashion show. Rather than strut down the catwalk and go back again, the models came out every hour and performed a dance in her garments. The evening was more like a large social event with a bar, a hair and makeup area, and an illustrator who would draw the guests. I helped set up the event and steam the clothes that would be shown and sold. Cristina put me on the sales team, so while the show was going on we were also selling the collection. I was lucky enough to be put in one of her dresses. I felt just like one of the models (almost).

I've loved my first Fashion Week experience and can't wait to do even more. Even though the days are long, they don't feel so tedious when you're surrounded by amazing clothes and beautiful models. It completely worth all the hard work and stress. This weekend I am volunteering for a trade show, so keep checking back for an update on how that goes!

Until next time.
Aderyn x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig